Congratulations to the “Keep the Music Alive” Bursary Winners!
Caitlin Ahern – Prince Andrew High School, Dartmouth
Cora Cameron – Citadel High School, Halifax
Breton Hickey – Glace Bay High School, Glace Bay
Arlene Johnson – Prince Andrew High School, Dartmouth
“Keep The Music Alive” is an initiative by the Sackville Community Band Society. Most musicians in the Sackville Community Band Society learned to play their instruments in Junior and Senior High School. The Sackville Community Band Society is committed to helping the musicians of tomorrow by financially supporting young concert band musicians within the province of Nova Scotia The Sackville Community Band Society is pleased to announce the creation of an annual bursary for concert band students in Junior High and High School within the province of Nova Scotia. The Society will present up to four $250 annual bursaries (subject to available funding) to students who demonstrate the desire and the potential to succeed within the genre of traditional concert band music.
The “Keep the Music Alive” Bursary may be used to support activities such as (but not limited to):
- Instrument rental for students who need to acquire a better instrument in order to reach their musical potential;
- Financial assistance for Grade 12 students heading to university to attend an instrumental music program;
- Assistance for students to attend advanced study sessions and seminars with professional musicians;
- Assistance for students attending advanced band programs or camps: and
- Other band related musical initiatives as they arise.
The Sackville Community Band Society is a registered charitable organization and any financial donations to the “Keep The Music Alive” fund will be provided with a receipt for income tax purposes.